A Night's Tale

First there was MySpace. Then there was Facebook. And now there’s this blog, not to mention Google and Wikipedia in general. It’s almost as if the Internet is trying to keep me from getting my work done. I’ve often considered sending facebook a suggestion for a feature that would allow one to “suspend” themselves from the site for a certain period of time when, say, a paper needs to be written. Because nothing short of the internet being down makes it possible to be more interested in doing work than in looking through 300 pictures of someone you haven’t seen or talked to in over five years.

Procrastination wasn’t born with the Internet, though --  the world wide web simply helped it along. But there are plenty of other ways to avoid accomplishing anything significant at all. I realized this last night when I began studying for Organic Chemistry (really I knew it before but that gives me a nice segue into my story...)

It was innocent at first. I was just going to open Firefox, google the properties of 1-methyl-2,3-diethylebutane, and close my computer immediately after I was done.

That's when I noticed it was only 7:12 p.m. What a silly time to start studying, I should wait until some more suitable time such as 7:15 or 7:30. So, since I had no choice but to wait a few minutes to hit the books, and since I didn't want to just twiddle my thumbs I decided to play just one game of Lock n' Roll (http://armorgames.com/play/4283/lock-n-roll). At around 7:56, something like six games in, once again I decided it was only appropriate to wait until 8:00 to start caring about carbon based chemitry again. What to do with the four minutes?

Check my Facebook homepage, naturally. WHAT? George has gone from being single to being in a relationship?!? They've been dating for two years.

Well let's be reasonable here, now I really have no other option but to scour both of their facebook's for any signs of what lead to this, and, more importantly, to try and figure out who broke up with whom.

So then it's nearly 9:00 p.m. and even though I want to study, it's time for Glee and its not like I can just use my DVR to watch it later (oh wait, that's exactly what it's like but I choose not to do that and watch it anyway). Awesome show, as usual, but just like every week the hour flies by and I realize I haven't quite had my fill of television yet. So I watch everything stored on my DVR from the past week. At this point I don't even remember what carbon's atomic number is anymore.

Yawn. Now it's around midnight, and I'm way too tired to study... I should just climb into bed. So I do climb into bed... and I search the internet for two hours. Good thing the test isn't for another three weeks. Just think of how many Facebook updates will happen between now and then.

2 comments:

YAY! I get to be your first follower! :-) Good luck with the template. Luckily your "read more" works... I've tried everything and can't get mine to show, even though I have the code in there.

Happy blogging!

 

Wow, I am able to relate completely to both of your blogs, in terms of studying chemistry & driving (well.. learning to. I have my exam in a week.. ahh!!) AND facebook / the internet being the biggest distraction to studying EVER.

I'll be following you, as your posts are quite amusing and fun. (I really like the layout btw)

Will

 

Post a Comment